Source: All Together for Holistic Care of Children (BKTF)
19th of May 2016
All Together for Holistic Care of Children (BKTF), pending further investigative actions , strongly condemn the incident revealed on the 18th of May 2016 in the residential center Shkoder .
According to the current information signaled by the Ombudsman, the Prosecutor of Shkoder started investigations with the reasonable doubts that children of the center in Shkoder have been physically abused, maltreated and subject to mandatory works by the center staff. According to the forensic analysis, three children of the center, girls of the age 6, 7 and 12 years old have been sexually abused during their stay in the center.
Frequent cases of violence identified but also denounced from the independent institutions or outside the monitoring system and inspection made us doubt the monitoring quality procedures that the State Social Service has to perform in these centers. These cases urge the need to implement effective actions monitoring the services in residential centers.
We strongly recommend that the legal amendments for Children Protection’s new law include an external structure of child protection professionals that can create the trust and the opportunity to support children’s needs and emotional state.
Furthermore, we raise our concern about the personnel employment procedures of these centers. Professional and careful procedures are needed, as well as the presence of a Children Protection Policy with clear criteria and signed ethics for each employee.
Members of BKTF Coalition:
- Terre Des Hommes in Albania and Kosovo
- Save the Children Albania
- Paqe nepermjet Drejtesise
- Femijet e Botes dhe Shqiperise
- Psycho-Social Center Vatra
- Qendra e Sherbimeve dhe Praktikave Ligjore te Integruara
- Help for Children
- Tirana Legal Aid Society, TLAS
- National Association Education for Life , SHKEJ
- World Vision Albania and Kosovo
- Partners for Children
- ADRA Albania
- Roma Active Albania
- SOS Villages
- Center ‘’Children Today’’
Other organisations have joint this statement as well :
- Albanian Women Empowerment Network ( AWEN ) and the organisations part of this network :
- “Gender Alliance for Development Centre”, Tirana
- “Association of Women and Girls With Social Problems”, Durres
- “Me, the Woman”, Pogradec
- “Agritra Vision”, Peshkopi
- “Woman to Woman”, Shkoder
- “Woman’s Forum”, Elbasan
- “Jona” association, Sarande
- Gender Alliance for Development Center